Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sea Kayaking in Tofino

Tues. Aug. 14, 2007

We had one full day in Tofino and what better way to spend it than sea kayaking, eating great seafood and laying on the beach. Life is great!



F.Do & Cathy just as we're leaving the shore.



Starfish against the rocks. We saw a lot of starfish and Tyler (our guide) told us the various kinds but of course, I forgot the names.



Starfish become stiff once you remove them from the place they were resting. Tyler ensured they were put back to where he grabbed them. I guess they get disoriented otherwise...



Tyler killing a grab (I think he had some much needed frustrations to release). Apparently this was a red crab (or was it blue...) which was good enough to make 2 sushi rolls. I learned a lot about crabs on the kayaking trip, probably more than I needed to...



Here I am holding up seaweed. Sort of looks like some slimey hair.



Fi and myself made a great kayaking team!



After working hard kayking all morning, we worked up quite the appetite. SoBo, one of the top rated restaurants in Tofino. They have an actual restaurant that is opened during dinner, however, during lunch they just open this trailer and serve their food from there. At first I was weary about the food being good seeing that it was coming from a trailer, but damn was the food ever good.



F.Do and myself got margaritas and I swear I think the bartender wanted us smashed since our drinks were quite strong (and that is an understatement).



The spread. Crab cakes, oysters, soba noodles, fish tacos, tofu pocket, corn bread.... yummmmm







Welcome to Tofino!





Fi, doing a jumping heart. Yes, I'm being honest. A Jumping Heart. Though who am I to judge, I think I'm a kung fu fighter.







View from the sushi restaurant that evening. I have to say it was the best sushi I have ever eaten. The sashimi was so fresh and just melted in your mouth... I'm drooling right now just thinking about it...







The sushi restaurant was quite quirky. It had this buddha statue who was drinking from a liquor bottle and had eyeballs that moved. It was sort of pervy... similar to its owner...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this update! sigh I miss these places while sitting in the office...

Also I just ran into Johnny T outside, he said he is enjoying the blog!

Love,
f.do