Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Rock Climbing @ Skaha Bluffs

Wed. Aug. 8, 2007

Penticiton, BC: Banbury Campgrounds.



Whoo! One of the final times we will have to go through our morning routine of emptying the holding tanks and filling up the water tank!




Skaha Rock Climbing Adventures: This was one of the highlights of my trip. We were fortunate enough to have Russ Turner lead us in our rock climb. He's been living there all his life and is well known around the town. He's not only an awesome teacher but he's also a really intelligent (he would randomly show us things along our walk), kind, and funny (in a non-obvious way) man. We all had a crush on him. So Cute! Anyways, we all have never been rock climbing before, so having him as our teacher was very fortunate for us. If anyone is looking to go rock climbing, definitely go with him.

Russ going through the ABCD's (i.e. double checking our equipment) with F.Do and myself. Notice how F.Do isn't even paying attention! The girl was going to be belaying me (which basically means my life is in her hands when I'm up there) and she doesn't even feel the pressure because she's so busy posing for the camera! damn F.Do!



We each got to do 5 different climbs which ranged in difficulty and height (25-30 foot). I'm scared of heights, so doing these climbs took a lot of deep breathing.



Rock Climbing requires you to remember somewhat of a script. I am the worst with memorizing scripts, so of course I come up with my own stuff. The one that we kept with us was "BLAZE ON!" While I was belaying F.Do, I couldn't remember that I was supposed to say "belay on" and accidentally said "Blaze on!" To which this weed-smoking hippie beside me over heard and was like "Blaze on... that's aaaawesome!" And so the term "Blaze On" was formed...



It's such an awesome feeling rock climbing. Highly addictive! Just when you think you can't move anywhere, and you find a little hole and use your upper body to raise yourself up is an amazing feeling!



Yay I've reached the top of my first climb!



This climb was rather difficult. You really needed upper body strength to take you to the top. I was profusely sweating by the end of it.



I think Russ was pleasantly surprised with how quickly we took to Rock Climbing and how willing we were to try anything. He kept suggesting new things and we were all up for it! Blaze On, Brother man!!






Near the end of our climb, Russ suggested we do some rappelling off 85 foot walls. WTF!!??!



I love this pic of F.Do. You can just see the fear in her eyes!



Deep Breath. "Holy F*uck!" "Ok" "I Can Do It" Deep Breath. Here goes nothing.



I think Russ said he's never heard someone talk so much to themselves before. ha ha ha haaa!



Yay! I made it down! It was a lot of fun! So much so that we each got to go twice!



Here we are at the end of our climbs. We were gross as hell but high with adrenaline. Great Great Times!



Vancouver, BC: After an exciting day, we finally made it to Fi & Jay's place for a home cooked meal. yum, yum... lettuce wraps!



Updated: I forgot to mention Ogo-Pogo, the legendary water monster (very similar to the Lochness Monster) that Russ told us about. Seeing that he's lived in the area his whole life, he claims he has seen it on various occasions, however, his wife needs more convincing. Whether its real or not, I just love saying its name... Ogo-Pogo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha I love this post, oh Russ...did you see Patrick's comment about our kung fu poses, love it!!