Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Rockies: Canmore & Banff

Sat. Aug. 4, 2007

Though we didn't get to see much of Calgary, I thoroughly enjoyed my night there.

First, we stayed at the Westin. Sigh, such luxury after sleeping in an RV for a week. I know we weren't exactly slumming it since we were fortunate enough to have an RV with our own beds and not some flimsy tent, however, RV camping was slumming it enough for me!

Secondly, we were able to clean up, put on some heels & dresses, and the best part, I finally got to do my hair!! People who know me, know that the natural state of my hair is not something to brag about (Sharma, you know what I'm talking about).

Third, Calgary was a city of deals. Thanks to Mama Khow, we were able to get the room at half price. Then with F.Do's Platnium card we were upgraded to a room with free internet, long distance in north america and a plasma tv. Score! However, the best part was our breakfast the next morning. We were able to have an elaborate breakfast buffet for a total of only $30 (even though it was supposed to be $20 per person!). Well Done! So with our bodies relaxed and our bellies full, we were off northbound towards Banff!

Canada Olympic Park: '88 winter olympics



The view driving towards the Rockies is breathtaking! The mountains in the distance look surreal.









It's quite the scene when there are 3 crazians on the side of the road with their RV. I don't know what's crazier... the fact that we've stopped on the side of a major highway or that we're 3 asians with an RV...



Canmore, AB: a small town just outside of Banff. It was very cute!







We tend to have too much fun when we hit the toy stores...





Meet the Murphy's: Mur(mine), Murph (F.Do's) and Phy (Cathy's)



Mur, the Canmore Tour Guide





Banff, AB: Banff Upper Hot Springs (I don't know about anyone else but when I think of Hot Springs, I think of serene areas in the forests where water is bubbling out of the ground with water falls. Not an outdoor swimming pool filled with extremely hot water with mountains in the background)





Banff, AB





Banff, AB: they name their streets after animals. Quite amusing.



Not Captured, But Worth Mentioning: One constant reminder in the Rockies is the wild life. Moose, deer, elk, mountain goats, etc. In particular, the bears. Anyhow, I am scared just at the thought of bears milling about. It doesn't help that every sign you read is about how you can prevent bears from entering your campsite and what you should do when you come face to face with one. (apparantly one of the things you're supposed to do is shout at it. Though if I were to come face to face with a bear, the first thing I'm going to do is run the other way, never mind shouting at it in an aggressive tone!). Anyhow, that night Cathy startled me out of my sleep when she was creeping around at the windows saying that she heard a growl. Then after listening for a bit, I heard one too! Totally freaking out, I look out the window and I swear I see a shadow of a bear at our neighbour's campsite. Though after careful investigation, we realized it was the shadow of a tree. doh! However, to this day we still are not sure if what we heard was actually a bear or just our imagination playing with us (though present this question to Cathy and she will swear it was a bear... I guess we'll never know..)

No comments: