Monday, January 21, 2008

A Day in Antwerpen, Belgium...

January 19, 2008

After returning to Da Dam from Paris, F.Do and I decided to take a day trip to Antwerpen which is approx. 2.5 hours train ride from Da Dam. As you will soon see from the pictures, it was a day filled with eating which we did in conjunction with our favourite pastime... shopping!!!





BELGIAN FRIES:




SHOPS, SHOPS AND MORE SHOPS:



"Ohhh..."



MEAL #1 - LUNCH: Nothing washes down a delicious sandwich better than some Belgian Beer....


A sign of a good sandwich is when it's overflowing with stuff...



OUR LADY CATHEDRAL:
This is about the only tourist site we visited it and I have to say, I think the only reason why we even came upon it was because it was on our way to some shop we were headed towards...



MEAL #2 - ESPRESSO AND WAFFLES/CREPES:
I miss a good espresso with a side of biscotti or chocolate.


F.Do got this scarf for Mezan and thought it would be funny to wear it as a babushka...


Sigh, enjoying my mini-waffle and espresso...


F.Do and her delicious crepe. She's wearing her "alk nerdy to me" t-shirt which once upon a time read "talk nerdy to me."


F.Do was a bit obsessed with these kids. I'm sure if she thought she could get away with it, she would've kidnapped them...


Waffle with fruit... yummmm...


A store display...



MEAL #3 DINNER: Beer, Beer and More Beer....



I had mussels and frites which is a typical Belgian dish. That's my shocked/over-excited face over the HUGE barrel like bowl of mussels!!!


F.Do had the beef stew. I can't remember if thats her stew or my mussels that is steaming like a chimney!


I have to make mention of our waiter. He was probably the most efficient waiter I have ever experienced. We were on the top floor of this house with the most narrow stairs leading to the top floor. But boy did this waiter fly up and down those stairs with several dishes at a time!! I swear if I didn't know better, he must've had some Asian in him...


SNOW FALLING DOWN ON ANTWERP:



BEER MACHINE: We were early for our train, so we were waiting around the station for a bit. One thing I discovered was this "pop" machine that also dispensed Beer!!! Only in Europe...


The beer was only 1.70EUR = $2.50CDN!!!! Amazing, just amazing....


Antwerp was definitely a day filled with goodness. Good food, good shopping and of course, good company!

No comments: