Sunday, January 20, 2008

Bonjour Paris!

January 14 - 17, 2008

Early Monday morning (and I mean ear-ly. It was so early that the tram's weren't even running at that time, so I ended up walking to the train station), I boarded my train and was off to the beautiful and romantic city of Paris, France!!! 4.5 hours after leaving the Netherlands, I was in France. It is absolutely mind-boggling how accessible everything is in Europe. A few hours of travel and you're in a completely different country!! No wonder everyone just can't get enough of traveling in Europe! And I was no exception...


It was "un jour absolument beau" when I arrived in Paris that morning. After dropping off my bags at the hostel, I went off to wander the city.


PLACE DES VOSGES: this is where the French writer Victor Hugo lived. It is located in the centre of the Marais neighbourhood which is where I stayed while in Paris.





PLACE DE LA BASTILLE:



EIFFEL TOWER: It was as breathtaking as I thought it would be. It certainly did not disappoint. It felt very surreal...






I couldn't help it... I just had to get a taste of it...





SEINE RIVER:




POMPIDOU CENTRE: a.k.a. the most avant-garde building in the world. It houses the Musée National d'Art Moderne (National Museum of Modern Art) and the Bibliothèque Information Publique (Public Information Library). Needless to say, I lined up for the Library by accident. Luckily, these nice Parisians directed me to the correct place. Geez, who knew that there would be such a long line up at 9pm for the Library!!!


I really enjoy modern art. More so than paintings portraying war or portraits of old rich men which are usually dark and depressing. For me, the brighter and fun the art, the more enjoyable.


I really enjoy Picasso. His paintings are so deranged.


I really liked this painting, though I can't recall who it's by or what it was titled.


Ok, there is some modern art that I just do not understand. Honestly, did the artist one day just say, "hey, I'm going to create a room that will look like a cave but instead of carving a mountain, I will use paper mache!!!"


I am infatuated with Gnomes!!! They're such cute little fellas!!!


Wow, had I known that to be an artist, all it took was hanging 3 blank canvas in an art gallery, I definitely could've been an Artist!




THE EIFFEL TOWER @ NIGHT: I came back later that evening for the light show that occurs every hour which many either love or hate. I personally thought the Eiffel tower looked beautiful just lit up without the whole show. I uploaded the video so you can judge for yourself!










MIJE FOURCY HOSTEL: I used to be a hostel snob meaning I got itchy just thinking about having to stay in a hostel rather than a hotel. However, when traveling in Australia a few years ago, I stayed in one for the first time and it surprisingly wasn't so bad. Anyhow, here is the hostel I stayed at while in Paris. It was super amazing and had a very entertaining front desk man. Of course he was super fabulously gay and half-Vietnamese like myself. Needless to say, we bonded. I am starting to realize I am quite the gay-man magnet!!!



METRO:
Paris has one of the best public transportation I have ever experienced. There are many different routes but once you get a handle of it, it is a life-saver!




MUSEE RODIN: Rodin is considered the father of modern sculptures. I can see why he has this title...




The famous "Thinker" Sculpture:


The Musee Rodin is famous for it's garden. However, it was a rainy day in the middle of January, so I didn't get to fully appreciate it for it's entirety.


The Age of Bronze:


Le Baiser (The Kiss):







The typical Parisian lunch: a fresh Baguette with ham and cheese, a croissant and a bottle of Evian. Can't get anymore French than this...



MUSEE D'ORSAY: There were extensive lines to get in. But being the efficient Asian that I am, I had purchased the Museum Pass the previous day and was able to by-pass all lines at the majority of museums. Asian Efficiency thats all I have to say... Can you see me tapping my finger to my temple =)


This was my first view as soon as I walked through the entrance. All I have to say is "WOW!!" It still gives me chills just thinking of how grand it was for a museum!


I don't know who this art work belongs to, but it just made me laugh. I'm laughing right now as I type this... ha ha haaa!!!


Van Gogh. He's quite popular. I enjoy him, but he certainly isn't my favourite...


It was here in the Musee D'Orsay that I fell in love with Edgar Degas.


Edgar Degas' Danseuses Bleues (Blue Dancers):



Edgar Degas' La Classe de Danse (The Dancing Class):


Edgar Degas' La Petite Danseuse de Quatorze Ans (Little Dancer of Fourteen Years): I have to say, this was my favourite sculpture on my entire trip.





This is possibly the cutest thing ever. This teacher was taking his group of students around the museum. These kids looked like they were about 5 or 6 years old and they knew the artists' name!! amazing. Anyhow, there is just something about a man with kids that upgrades him...


Portrait of the Painter's Mother aka Whistler's Mother:


Musee D'Orsay is ginormous!! I must've been in there for a solid 3 hours and thats with me rushing at the end. Luckily I had done my research beforehand, so I started off on the top floor where the majority of the "more-known" art work was and worked my way down.






GALLERIES LAFAYETTE: this was simply the most grand department store I have ever shopped in. Though I can't really say I "shopped" since it was way too expensive for me to purchase anything, but it was nice to just pretend I could afford the stuff.





MUSEE DU LOUVRE: the world's largest palace and museum. Also, the main location of where The Da Vinci Code took place!!!


What I noticed about Paris was the number of police officers, with big guns, everywhere.





As soon as I entered the museum, I felt chills...


If you read The Da Vinci Code you'll know the significance of this point...



Winged Victory:


Venus de Milo:

I always feel like such a poser while in museums. Everyone in there is always so serious and standing in front of art pieces and evaluating them for it's importance or lack thereof. I, on the other hand, base my liking of an art piece on it's ability to make me smile...


...or the romanticism...




Mona Lisa: Honestly, this painting is highly overrated!!! First off, it always has large groups surrounding it. Second, it's small! Third, it's behind a glass partition. And lastly and most important, it isn't that great of a painting (in my opinion since it's dark and doesn't make me smile).



Some rich royalty's jewels:


Egyptian Artifacts: In other words, it was creepy as hell... especially since it was late in the evening (approx. 8 or 9ish) and I was pretty much the only person down there (or at least it felt like it)...


I started to get freaked out while I was in this area...


Especially when I started walking down these stairs...




This room allowed you to walk through it, but I only made it as far as the entrance and turned back around...


I got really freaked out being in the Louvre in the evening. Again, if you read the Da Vinci Code, you'll understand why. So in an attempt to comfort myself, I went to the area with the Asian, African collections. They made me feel better...



It was really starting to get dark in the museum and it was clearing out. So obviously I couldn't handle being there any longer, and left. I was in there for approx. 3 hours and I only completed maybe 1.5 of 3 wings. You honestly need a full day in there. They weren't joking when they say it's the world's largest museum!!!







BASILIQUE DU SACRE-COEUR: It sits atop the hill in Montmartre. This is where this guy told me to F-off because I didn't want to stop to watch his magic trip while he or his friends "discretely" rob me.





View from atop the steps of Sacre-Coeur...


This pigeon looks like a cross between a dove and a peacock... Despite this, I still think it's a pigeon and therefore, a flying rat. Gross...


The stairs going up to the top of Sacre-Coeur. It was very narrow and confining. I would not recommend this to anyone who is claustrophobic. However, I still felt like a princess climbing to the top of my castle.


The 360 degree view of Paris from the top of Sacre-Coeur. Far in the distance you can see the Eiffel Tower... Absolutely spectacular...


From this view, you can see how condensed the city is.



I loved seeing the Eiffel Tower from different views throughout the city.


Climbing back down. Rather freaky. Good thing it was daylight out or else I may have pooped my pants a bit...



Walking down the street in Montmartre:


Baguettes were everywhere!!! They are my weakness...


This man came on and just started playing his guitar. The best part, he sang a Blue Rodeo song!!!



ARC DE TRIOMPHE:




View of Champs-Elysees from atop the Arc De Triomphe...



View of the Eiffel Tower atop the Arc De Triomphe...


View of the "modern" part of Paris from atop the Arc De Triomphe...


GRAND PALAIS: It wasn't free nor was it covered by my Museum Pass, so I just viewed it from the outside.




PETITE PALAIS:




I love how elaborate all the museums in Paris were. The art didn't just stop with the piece itself, but the walls and ceilings were also pieces of art.



LA GRANDE ROU (Ferris Wheel): I believe Parisians were jealous of London's Ferris Wheel (The London Eye) and constructed one themselves...



VIEW LOOKING UP CHAMPS-ELYSEES TOWARDS THE ARC DE TRIOMPHE:



MUSEE DE L'ORANGERIE DES TUILERIES: This venue was built to Claude Monet's specifications in order to display his large panels of work called Nympheas.



There were 2 large rooms with curved walls covered with Monet's work. It was quite amazing.


Monet painted these Nympheas (Water Lillies) which he planted in the pond of his garden in Normandy, Germany.



A sculpture outside of L'orangerie...

Outside of L'orangerie...


View of the Eiffel Tower, Seine River and busy streets from L'orangerie:


JARDIN DE TUILERIES:
Unfortunately it was the middle of January, so the garden was not vibrant with life. But I can imagine how great it would be in the summer.


It always makes me laugh when I see birds making a mockery of the statues.


As I was walking towards the direction of the Louvre, I noticed these important looking men walking. I know they were important because the closer I got to them, the more weary their ear-wired bodyguards became. Anyhow, this just portrays a very stereotypical Parisian scene for me. Important men, dressed in all black or nice suits, carrying large umbrellas and accompanied by ear-wired bodyguards.


The Entrance of the Louvre from another direction:



A Different View of the Louvre:



JARDIN DU PALAIS ROYAL:


It is just amazing to think that once upon a time people lived in this castle and this was their garden.





VERSAILLES:
On my last day, I took a side trip out to Versailles. Here is the sun rising above Versailles...



CHATEAU DE VERSAILLES: It is considered Europe's grandest royal palace.


Louis XIV went all out when renovating Louis XIII's hunting lodge. He really knew his bling...



Hall of Mirrors: the famous chamber known for it's 17 tall arched windows which reflected off the arched mirrored walls. I wish I had a room like this...


The beds were so tiny. Royal men were quite the little fellas...




View of Chateau De Versailles from it's "backyard":



JARDIN DE VERSAILLES:
It was breathtaking. It spanned further than the eye can see.




I started walking towards the Grand Trianon and of course, I got lost...




GRAND TRIANON: it was used as a guest house for important guests or for weekend retreats


Jardin de Grand Trianon:






As I was awaiting for the Grand Trianon to open, I noticed a few joggers. As a runner myself, I can't even imagine having the luxury of running in such a spectacular garden each day. I am green with envy...



Grand Trianon used all of my favourite colours in its decor!!! Fushia pinks and Turquoise.... I think I am meant for royalty living....





After leaving the Grand Trianon, I went in search of the Petite Trianon. Of course, I got lost. Fortunately, I stumbled upon this interesting scene. A dead old tree trunk beside a young tree just beginning its life...




As I was walking back to the main palace, I walked past a huge field full of sheep! I have never been in such close proximity to sheep before. I was extremely excited!!!


CATHEDRALE DE NOTRE-DAME:



Rose-Window in the Notre-Dame:


After scaling the steps to the twin towers, I was not only met with awesome views of the city, but also gargoyles, hobgoblins and birds of prey. Freaky...




Cathedrale de Notre Dame was a very gothic looking church. I must admit, it was a bit much for me..


View of Paris and the Seine River atop the Cathedrale de Notre Dame:



BERTHILLON GLACIER: famous gelato. It certainly did not suck...



BANANA AND CHOCOLATE CREPE: I couldn't leave Paris without having a delicious crepe!!! my mouth is still watering just thinking about it...



It is absolutely amazing how many times in a day that I get lost. In this particular case, I thought I was lining up to enter Ste. Chapelle, except I ended up entering the Palais de Justice. It was quite interesting seeing the lawyers dressed in their robes.





STE. CHAPELLE: I think by the last day in Paris, I had reached my church-viewing limit. At this point, I just zipped in and out.




MUSEE NATIONAL PICASSO:
I was sooo excited to go the Picasso Museum and was so disappointed when I arrived and found out it was closed for renovations!!! DAMit!!!!!


Just before leaving, I stopped in a bakery to bring some goodies back to F.Do in Da Dam. Sigh, I miss Parisian goodness!!!


Au Revoir Paris! What can I say, but that I absolutely loved Paris. It was everything I had imagined it and much more!!! It excelled in all areas that I look for when I travel to a new city. Absolutely delicious food, outstanding shopping, breathtaking attractions, easy to understand transit system, and best off, great people.

J'AIME PARIS!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey LT - I am just catching up on your Paris and Antwerp posts, I can't believe how long ago it was now! And I don't recall you telling me about the metro musician singing a Blue Rodeo song - yeah right!!!! What song?? I wonder if he was Canadien!