Friday, May 30, 2008

Settling in Vancouver

February - May 2008

After 2 months of traveling and being away from Vancouver, I finally returned to the city I now call home. The past few months have been a crazy whirlwind, and I apologize for being MIA. However, you'll be happy to hear that I am now settled into my apartment (that has the view of the mountains and a mere few blocks from the beach), and a job that ensures that I will not be leaving this city anytime soon. So here is a quick recap of my life these past few months...


Sunset on English Bay: I took this picture the day after I returned to Vancouver. Just riding around the city on my bike and sitting on the bench as the sun set just reconfirmed my decision to live in Vancouver.



Nothing beats seeing the mountains directly behind the city buildings:



You know it's Spring when you see the Cherry Blossoms in full bloom:



Rocky Mountain - Chocolate covered apples decorated for Easter:



Vancouver's Next Gay Top Model: My friend Chad is ridiculously good looking and gay, so it was inevitable that he would make it to the final 12 for the first ever Vancouver's Next Gay Top Model competition. Unfortunately he didn't win, however, it was an entertaining evening... to say the least...



The guy in the middle with the red handkerchief is my friend Chris. He has a washboard stomach. I can wash my clothes on it. I do not kid.



This was one of many performers that night. No comment needed. The pictures say it all:



Chad strutting his stuff on the catwalk:



They had to perform these choreographed dances which were really cheesy but quite entertaining.



Got to love the lime green!



It's a Crazian Birthday!!! Candice, Fi and myself all have birthdays within days of each other, so what better way to celebrate than to have one big Crazian Celebration??!! Let's just say we don't call ourselves Crazy Asians for no reason. Here are some pictures suitable for viewing.


The theme was red, so everyone had to wear something red. Me? I went for the red wig of course!


Candice is a pastry chef so she made the cake. It was damn good!



My BFF comes to Vancouver!!!! I'm sooo happy!!!



Yenta went to Europe and then came to Vancouver to see me just in time for my Birthday!!! There is nothing I take pleasure in more than showing around those I love the city that I've quickly fallen in love with.


Sunset on Kits Beach (the beach that is just a few blocks away from me):



As I always say, the best part of travelling is eating!! Here we are eating at The Eatery (a restaurant for those with A.D.D. that serves crazy combinations of sushi rolls). As you can see, we ordered enough food to feed 4 people.


Go Fish: a trailer that serves some of the best fish tacos and fish & chips in the city!


I always find that the best way to see the city is by biking. Yenta and I did a lot of biking while she was here. I admit, there were times that I got us lost and we ended up on some obscure wooded trails in Stanley Park which required a lot of up-hill climbs. whoopsy...



Ferguson Point: my absolute favourite look-out point in the city. It's not as touristy as Prospect Point and it is also the location of one of my favourite restaurants, Sequoia Grill.



Banana Leaf: I only discovered Malayasian food when I moved to Vancouver and I am now addicted! It is just so flavourful and yum.



Jericho Beach: another beach that is also close to my apartment.



It's my BIRTHDAY!!!! Yenta is an absolute sweetheart and put this together while I was sleeping. She literally ran around in penguin flannel pajamas at 6am to surprise me with all this. Love, love, love her!!!



Glowbal Restaurant: To start off my birthday we had a leisure 3-4 hour lunch on the patio in Yaletown.



Canucks Game: What better way to celebrate my birthday than to go to a hockey game with my BFF?! Beer, BFF, Aggressive Men beating each other up... what more can a girl ask for?




Steamclock in Gastown:


Aldo Jelly Shoes: Yenta and I were shopping and came across these ridiculously cheap jelly shoes. Let's just say they were so cheap you can pay for them with your pocket change. So we got them for the girls back home!


I had to add in this picture because while Yenta was here she became addicted to the limited food I was able to make for her. They included Mixed Berry & Banana Smoothies and Clam Chower (with extra extra corn of course!). She loved the combination so much that she would choose stay in to eat rather than go out to a restaurant!



Party Dave leaves Vancouver for Kelowna:



BBQ at Candice's:



Sex and the City Movie: as every other girl in this world, we made a big event of it. The theatre was so full that we had to all sit in separate areas.



Work Meeting in Calgary: a trip to Calgary for work concincidentally was also the time Allison was visiting from Edinburough.



Suki is Fi's cat who I occasionally cat-sit. She is my godcat. I am more of a dog person but you really can't help but love Suki. (note: do not be fooled by her cat appearance since I am convinced she is actually a dog!).




And the sun sets yet again. Another day, another night in my home city, Vancouver.

No comments: